Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Point Grey Bumblebee2

Received a Point Grey Research Bumblebee2 stereo camera this week. Package comes with a proprietary SDK to be used in a Windows environment. I need to have the camera running in Ubuntu, so for now, I won't be using their SDK. Since the camera uses the IEEE 1394 (FireWire) standard, I've installed libdc1394 so I can attempt to communicate with the camera. To install in Ubuntu, extract the downloaded package and from a command window:
  1. ./configure
  2. make
  3. sudo make install
Also need firewire capability (such as from a PCI card like the one supplied in my camera kit) for the computer. To display a list of connected PCI cards type "lspci" in a command window, and make sure the interface is initialized at boot time by looking for firewire in the kernel log (e.g. "grep 1394 /var/log/kern.log").

Now to figure out how to obtain some images from the camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment